Monday, November 10, 2008

Book Reviews - Are they Unfair?

I recently did a book review for a local paper. While the review was the truth of my opinion, which is all any review is, it wasn't in favor of the author. I received probably eight letters from the author stating that she felt I'd given her an unfair review. This makes me question - is any review ever fair?

If a reviewer loves a book, then sales happen. However, not everyone who follows the advice of the reviewer is going to love the book. In fact, they can feel deceived if they purchase a four star rated book and hate it. On the other hand, a reviewer can hate a book. The world may love it.

Please understand what a book review is and what it is not. It isn't a factual, rock solid assessment of a book. It isn't the be all and end all of the author's worth or talent. What it is, though, is simply one person's opinion of the storyline and the writing of a particular author.

No comments: